Monday, September 25, 2006

The Nerve....

Today I took the boys to the mall to walk around, well I walked they rode in their stroller. That’s where it happened… I was scolded at the mall!! That’s right scolded by a woman probably around my mothers’ age… Let me set the scene for you.

I’m pushing the boys around the mall when this couple pushing a stroller with one little one stops and the man says…”Wow they must keep you busy! Our grandchild here is a handful can’t imagine two!!”

To which I said what I always say, “Yes they do…he’s a cutie [pointing to their grandchild]…How old is he?”

They said he was fifteen months.

Then the woman looked at me and said, “Are they YOUR’S”??

I said, “Yes mame they’re mine.”

She shook her head and said…. “And at Your age!”

I looked at her then at my children then back at her and said, “Ummm What? ”

She says, “Of course they keep you busy, that’s what having children in High School does…”

So I say before walking away, “Well I wouldn’t know about that as I have been out of High School for six years! However in school or out of school all children keep you busy!! Have a good day mame!!”

People!!! Where so they get their nerve? I didn’t think I looked that young. I had my hair pulled back, minimal makeup, I wore my mini skirt over my brown legging’s with my brown tank layered under my burnt orange tee and my burnt orange Chuck Taylor’s to match….

And even if I was in High School where does she get off??

13 Comments:

Blogger Pittchick said...

Wow. I probably would have had a few choice words for her.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

honey... take it as a compliment! she thinks you look like you're still 17! i love it when people guess me younger... and i'm proud to tell them i'm 25.

yes, i agree... children are a handful at whatever age they are and whatever age you are.

12:56 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

You should have shaken your head replied "Still not peeing into a bag strapped to your leg? Tsk - at your age! See ya later, Ice Age!"

:)

5:14 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Wow. SJ bringing it!

Anyways, I don't know what kind of pill it takes to get people to walk up to strangers at the mall and make such comments.

They can't stop at the "beautiful kids" part - they have to go to either (a) the backhanded compliment "you look so young to have such beautiful children" or (b) the nasty remark, which they never seem to run out of.

Start carrying mace.

7:11 AM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

i think i would have said more than that, you are good for being so nice. she was way out of line. I get so mad when I am out without the kids and I see other moms with kids that are having "moments" and then I see other women shaking their heads and mumbling things and I just want to say HEY do you have young kids? NO - well then mind your own damn business. My 2 year old Carter is such a little menance, but at the same time he is the most wonderful thing ever...

12:13 PM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Must run with the name!! My Carter is the ornerier of the two!!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

I think that was more of a compliment than an insult. Of course, tone would come in to play.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Well...I'm with Raf, it's a veiled compliment.

She WAS being rude..but screw it. Different generations just don't understand tact and couth...

2:43 PM  
Blogger BRAE said...

You should have told her that it was drugs and sex that kept you busy in high school. ;-)

3:16 PM  
Blogger BRAE said...

You should have told her that it was drugs and sex that kept you busy in high school. ;-)

3:16 PM  
Blogger Mind Sprite said...

Wow, that is some nerve. I think that older people start to lose the filter between their brains and their mouths. My grandmas says the damndest things!

I thought she was going to make a rude comment about you putting your career first and waiting too long to have kids, so be thankful you look too young and not too old!

5:23 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Well, I'm sure if given the opportunity your boys coulda taken her grandson anyday.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sorry, I can't comment. My jaw fell on the floor and I'm having a little problem with it.

WTF??

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home