Monday, February 26, 2007

Today We Awake...

“That’s what happens when the only voice she ever hears is telling her she can’t.”

This morning as I was doing something I do every day I actually stopped and paid attention as I did it. What you ask? Well I’ll tell you.

Every morning when Chad leaves for work the boys and I see him off at the door. The boys give him hugs and kisses and then get the door for him and we wave bye. Today as Carter was waving bye and I was holding Levi on my hip and he was calling out telling Chad he loved him… I felt a tear fall down my cheek.

Here I have been sitting feeling like a failure in comparison to all those around me my age that are doing exciting things, went to college, got great jobs, etc. And here I am never went to college struggling and fighting, HOWEVER, look what I do have. Here I stand with two little guys that love me and a Man that adores me, even if I do have to talk him into making out with me…[I’ll never let that go honey…haha]. And even though it’s a fight and a struggle I’m living the dream. The 1950’s family American Dream…. So I’m a few decades off…What of it? I’ve always been a little off.

So they went to college, got smart got a good job…live in fancy exciting places. But are they happy? We all have our struggles our sadness, no matter what we do or accomplish in our lives. We all gave up some dreams to be where we are. That doesn’t make us any less worthy of happiness, Nor does not being what we're told we should be and do in live to be ‘successful’.

We make are our own dreams, our own joys… If only we open our eyes to see them.

15 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

you finally see in yourself what i have seen in you for the last few years! you are blessed... very much so. you are right, we all struggle. we all have our difficulties. but often times we take for granted the things we are truly blessed by.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetpea everything that's worth anything is a fight and a struggle...

that's not just the 1950's American Dream... it's mine too.

::sniff::

...and I'm outta kleenex so thanks!

1:59 PM  
Blogger unreuly said...

indeed!
smart girl you are katie.
i always think of what nancy reagan said when i'm feeling at odds with who I am in comparison to others around me...

don't try to be a second rate version of anybody else. be a first rate version of yourself!

and your doing just that!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, some people sleepwalk through life.

I try really hard to keep my eyes open but sometimes I get sleepy.

3:29 PM  
Blogger TH said...

You are truly blessed K8...... I sure hope your hubs does adore you ! HE DAMWELLSHOULD

4:01 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Yeah Katie! *spinning you around*

You get it!!!

Atta girl!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

That's what we've been telling you all along. ;-)

I see happy people and miserable people, and I never make the connection that education or status has that much to do with it.

One person's "great job" is another person's personal nightmare.

10:19 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Nice :)

3:18 AM  
Blogger Mind Sprite said...

I went to school for many years, couldn't make a go of the career and will be saddled with huge student loans for the rest of my life. Now I wish I'd just skipped it and had the kids I wanted to when I was young and brave enough to do it. School isn't everything and being a great mom is the best and hardest job there is.

Kudos to you, Katie! I think you're amazing :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Money and college don't define a person...

Inner happiness,peace,love...truly caring for those around you. Those qualities define you..

Sometimes the grass may look greener over there but we always notice lots of brown dead spots upon closer inspection..

Hmmm did that work? Not sure.

Who cares...i love ya girl and think you're fantastic!

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wherever you go there you are...I know trite, but still true.

6:22 PM  
Blogger ysfb said...

I feel like something is still missing in my life. That one thing I need to do but haven't figured out yet.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow....what an astonishing post. glad I chose today to stop by.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Climbing the Corporate ladder so you can buy lots of "things" isn't what it is about. It really is the simple stuff that counts. Investing in your family will pay off bigger-time for you than anything else. Good thoughts.

11:44 PM  
Blogger The Thinking Man's Babe said...

Hey Kate,

Just found your blog. You have so, so, so much to be grateful for...and you know what? College or no you're really a great writer and very smart. I can tell from your blog. I'm writer. I know. It's all good, very good.

Take care,
Andrea

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home