Friday, January 27, 2006

MTV's True Life....I can't get it out of my head....

Last night I watched a show i like on MTV called True Life....last nights episode was "True Life...I have gay parents". I haven't been able to stop thinking about it ever since. I felt so bad for this one girl they followed around in particular. She was a junior in high school trying out for drum major. She also had two moms. So they were showing her doing her preinterview for drum major and her audtion and final interview. All during this the school officials kept saying they didn't know about choosing her because of her "home life". They said they're a small and conservative town and some of the band members parents are Christians and would pull their kids out of band if she was drum major because they don't approve of the home life she has and wanted to let her know and then told her that that's going to a part of her life she'll have to get use to. Believe me I'm sure she got used to it a long time ago...seems to me the parents that wouldn't let their kids be in the band need to come to terms with reality and teach tolerance and love. That's the world we're in and I can't believe that these are Christians they were talking about...I know homosexuality is wrong and a sin but who are we to judge? I don't know about your Jesus But my Jesus...As the Todd Agnew song goes.....Reached out to thieves, sluts and lairs!! And the other part that was angering me was that these town "people" were shunning her like she got to pick who her parents are!!! She had good parents gay or not that's more than some children have in this world with straight parents. And if parents start pulling kids from things like that because their parents are gay whats next? Kids whose parents aren't married who parents are a different religion than them whose parents are each of a different race. It's a dangerous hill to go down that will only serve to cultivate hate and predjuices. Jesus would want you to reach out to them and love them, not shun and judge them and teach your kids they shouldn't associate with certain people with certain "home lives". By the way she got drum major!! I was happy for her! Aaaahhh I feel better that all was just bugging at my mind all night last night and all today I had to say my peace about it so I could let it go.

Update on Fraggle Rock.....I caved Amazon had free shipping on it...It will be at the house on Tuesday!!! I'll let ya all know if the twins like it as much as I think they will!....Later.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Larry and Steph said...

I know last night you were kinda ticked at me for my opinion on the entire gay parent thing. No, the girl couldn't choose who her parents were. Yes, it's something she's going to face her entire life. No, I wouldn't allow my children to go to her house and play. Could she come to mine...sure. It's not her that I have a problem with. I don't agree with her parents lifestyle, and I won't encourage my children to be a part of it. I agree that as Christians we have to deal with "those" people..I have gay friends. I'm not saying that I don't ever have to associate with gay people. What I'm saying is, it's not ok to accept them for who they are and encourage them to live that way just so they aren't offended. We love them through faith...but I don't love their lifestyle...nor do I have to make it ok for them to live that way. I'm not judging them to hell, I would talk to them and love them through Jesus, but I will never be able to accept their living in that manner. The Bible said it was wrong for people of different races to be married at that time, it also said it was wrong for people to marry across religions, and it definitely said it's all sorts of wrong to live a homosexual lifestyle. Hate the sin, not the sinner...but yet you can't condone what they're doing just for the sake of peace. I just wanted you to understand where I'm coming from and why I said what I said last night. I wasn't intending to upset you...and I know that you feel I'm part of the judging crowd. I'm just not ok with the everything goes, everybody has rights point of view...not with issues like this. I hope you aren't super mad or upset with me. Just wanted to air my feelings...Love you.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

I never said I condone it or that we should accept that lifestyle just that we need to accept that its out there and tolerate without hate. Just like you tolerate and were friends with Jim and saw him as more than just a gay man. I can't debate with you and I'm not gonna try, I can't articulate how i feel about the subject i'm not smart enough to do that the way you can. I'm not mad at you or I'm I trying to change your opion I know how it upsets you when people don't share your opions hence why I rarely talk politics. I just don't see such the opposistion to relationships where the parents are mixed races or ones catholic and one's methodist. The Bible says all sins are equal and we tolerate those relationships, and have even entered at some extent ourselves. I'm not saying I or we as christians should accept and support their lifestyle. Just that we shouldn't shun and put hate out to the children of those relationships that didn't have a choice to be there...for some reason God put them there. Lastly I'm not saying either that everything goes and that if it feels right do it. However as Human Beings we all have rights and desearve to be treated with respect.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok... here's another thought... back in the day, it was thought not to marry outside of religion or race or even stature (ie. royalty)... this also caused a LOT of diseases and imbreeding! i believe as a christian in love. if someone loves someone that's all there is to it be it someone of another skin tone, religion or yes, i'm saying it, sex. i believe that love is love and that's all that matters. you have friends that are gay? can you look them in the eye and tell them that what they feel is wrong? maybe to you, but to them it's what's right. my guess is that God will decide whether or not same sex relationships are right or wrong and I feel that we'll never know for sure how he feels on the subject until we get meet him (if we ever do). no, i'm not 100% comfortable around gay people,but i know it's wrong to judge others for doing something that they feel is right. ok... that's about the best i can do (kate, i am also not very good at arguing! hehe). i agree with you kate is about the best i can do.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Wow, this whole thing can be deep, yet at the same time so shallow. You both have opinions and you both have good points. The important thing to remember is that you both have a right to your opinions and your own feelings about this situation. I also have friends that are gay (or lesbian) and I don't think less of them for there lifestyle choice. (I do feel sad that they've made that choice and I feel sad for the children living in that home. As time goes on they will have a difficult time coming to terms with how society treats them and how God will treat the parents they love so much.) They are Christians and they realize the cost of their lifestyle choice. All the same, they are still my friends. Would I allow my child to be unattended at her house..nope. And I feel she understands that. As she is my friend and respects my feelings. Have I visited her home, sure. I'm an adult, but a child isn't able to control situations and filter things properly...the Christian way. I'm sure she would do her best not to do or say anyting inappropriate in front of my child, but at the same time I wouldn't want to take the chance that something might "slip". It's just part of being a parent and watching over your children and protecting them. I'm not saying that allowing a child to go to a home where there is a gay relationship is being a bad parent....this is only my personal view. There are so many variables to all of this. Do we condemn, do we condone, do we encourage, do we approve, do we shunn, do we accept? It's a personal judgement call and we each have to follow our own path on this one. How about the home of a know drug user or a known convict? What about the home of a prostitute or pimp? Ok, I better stop...hope you two work this one out.

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home