Monday, November 13, 2006

The Root Of Evil....

I’m tired of all these reality shows that are all about money, or girls fighting over a guy with money. It’s truly the root of all evil. Money creates jealously and nothing is more destructive than that green monster.

See people, rather right or wrong; equate their own worth to the worth of their bank account. And what they can or cannot do compared to what others can. I find it a lot with other moms and what they get their kids, the competition that’s there. I have this one friend that always has to run out and get the newest toy out there, or get what I say I wish I could get the boys…Knowing full well that it’s a “wish”…Cause I can’t afford it…And then flaunt it in my face. However instead of it making me feel bad, I feel bad for them. Its there insecurity not mine.

Money is good when it’s used for good. People shouldn’t base their self worth on the worth of their bank account.

I was standing in line at Walmart the other day and over heard a conversation between two ladies. Basically they had stopped in there I guess for beer apparently for a football party and was talking about how they can’t believe people actually buy their clothes here [with that snobby tone], to which I felt offended not only for me but for the others around me. What ignorance!! So being the smart ass that I am [I don’t deny it I know I am] I said to her… “Yes and some of us even buy our underwear here”…[hand over my mouth making a gasping sound]. Then I held up the two sweaters I was purchasing and said, “I’m sorry these were the last ones…did you want them? I think the orange would look fab on you!!”

Needless to say they went to another check out line. For a brief moment I felt good, especially with all the people who were in agreement with me, I rejoiced in what felt like a victory. However after I got to my car that feeling fled. I started to feel bad about myself; I was letting their comments affect me. I was letting their ignorance get to me. Which angered me.

So tell me…. Is it human nature to base our worth to that of the worth of our bank account, or is it society’s nature??

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even have a bank account.

Is it money that is the root of all evil or the people behind the money. It's just a piece of paper after all. Just like a gun is a gun, it's what people do with them.
Use it for good, use it for bad... it's up to the individual.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

$ makes the world go round, it can save one persons life and destroy anothers in the blink of an eye.

I attended a rather wealthy middle school and always wanted what the other girls had...Back then it was Dooney and Burke purses and Guess jeans. My mom was divorced and working long hours to put a roof over my head yet all i saw was embaressment from not fitting in. I begged my mom for those 60$ Guess jeans, jeans that would surely make me popular and happy.

Stupid fad, stupid me and a bunch of regret. long story short...money is very evil and turns people into monsters.

sorry that was rather long winded.

7:43 PM  
Blogger supergirlest said...

money is just a tool. it's what we do to it and with it that makes it so darn evil.

8:20 PM  
Blogger unreuly said...

i think you are a wise girl for realizing that it is their insecurity and not yours. don't let it bring you down because they're not worth your peace of mind.

money is a bitch...you can't live with it and you can't live without it! it's one of those fabricated things we've come to base our societal value on which is really arbitrary!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Wow. You're the Queen of Confrontation!
Don't feel badly about it.

Anyone who buys beer at WalMart has a problem to begin with.

9:10 PM  
Blogger ysfb said...

Money makes people go mad. Add that idea to a reality show and you got ratings. With all that combined, you have a happy CEO getting richer off people nearly kiling themselves over a few bucks. That's why I can't get into reality TV shows anymore.

Even the Real World isn't so real anymore. We all remember drunk Ruthie. People go on that show now so they can put their face on a camera to help their own careers out.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Yes I agree the best Real World to me was Seattle...hasn't been the same since.

9:24 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

I've bought beer before at Wally World Anthony. What's that say about me? *crinkles nose*

I can't believe you said that to them. You're so sassy. LOL.

I think that money doesn't necessarily make you hateful, I think that's environment and society.

10:49 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

No one is valued on their worth as a person.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of your reaction as being in response to wanker attitudes, rather than you making it your problem. We can't help but be human and want to teach snotties a lesson. Well done. They'll think twice about their stupid comments next time.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

remember folks, it's not money that is evil, but the Love of Money that is the root of all evil.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Rafael said...

Society, and the thing is that society as a whole places and determines a person's value by the size of their bank account. People worship and admire poofter wankers like Tom Cruise, or jackasses like Bill Gates just because they have money. Whereas the person that volunteers at the homeless shelter and works 60 hours a week and is a single parent to boot, well nobody gives a shit about them, but they are the ones that people should admire and look up to.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Mind Sprite said...

Good for you for telling those snotty wenches off! I'm sure we would all buy better stuff if we could, but you're a good mom and a good person and that's worth 1,000 fancy purses!

I buy all my clothes at thrift shops, so I don't even rate WalMart. What does that make me? I like to think a bargain hunter and a recylcler :)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Buzz said...

Atta Girl!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree.
I hate when people flaunt how much money they have, because it's not that impressive.
And about the reality TV show thing, it's also lame when the girls claim to "love" but really, we all know what they're after!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My entire situation right now is because money is more important then the emotions and pain of others.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home