Sunday, May 21, 2006

Astounding..............

I'm reading this book, by Dctalk, entitled "Under God". Its a great collection of short true history stories, Christian or not its really good. It's great accounts of history that I can assure you you didn't learn in school, and much better written than a history text book! I don't know about your school, but every year we started at the same place in history and never got any further. We barely learned about WWII, and until I graduated, and took it upon myself to learn, never knew about the Janpanese confindment camps that we had here during WWII. We never learned about the Korean war or The Vietnam war. How sad is our educational system? And I went to what around here is considered one of the best school systems!! So anyhow I was amazed when I read about Lynchings in this book. Lynchings were done after the civil war by the hands of a mob that had taken the law into their own hands, to maintain power over the African Americans. Lynchings were hangings often including burning, torture, and dismemberment, to prolong suffering. Many were for unproven and invented offences. They would even put an advance notice in the news paper and families would attend! So disturbing.... It soon became a social recreation rather than a punishmet for crime. The eye awaking part of all this?? In 1883 they recorded the most Lynchings at 130 that year. However, as short back as 1942 there were 6, and in 1959 there were 1!!!! And there could've of been even more as alot went unreported! I couldn't believe it. That's not that long ago... Hell my dad was almost in High school! It just opened my eyes to yet another thing that our school system didn't teach us!!

How was your school history courses? Did you learn about all the wars and civil rights facts?? Nothing gets me more fired up than racial injustice and civil rights!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jes said...

I'm definitely going to check that book out. I'm so embarrassed by how little I know about our history. The Koreans I meet know more about American history than I do!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

Love the new look, btw!!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Jes: thanks... yeah I know our history classes are seriously lacking in our school systems!

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home