Saturday, January 20, 2007

Soap Box...

I’ve been thinking about something for quite sometime now. Trying to figure out how to word it so I can get my point across. I’ve decided to just type and hopefully it will just happen.

Stand up for your self, take care of you, and think about you cause if you don’t no one else will. We all hear and say these things. And they are true; hell I say them all the time. But if you sit and think about that then it’s not hard to see why we are the selfish nation that we are.

Putting our needs and feelings above others as an act of protection in most cases. To not get hurt, walked on and used. Trust no one we are told, but if we never trust anyone our lives would be so lonely. Chad tells me this…to trust no one, but I think to myself if I did that than I never would of gone out with you…I didn’t know you and yet I went out on a date with you. It’s how we all met our partners and friends.

With out trust there really can be no selflessness. I like to think most people are good, and that giving even just a friendly smile is worthwhile. People get so wrapped up in themselves that they can’t see other’s pain, they don’t take the time to see others are hurting too before they judge them or simply walk on by.

Though I have been through a lot and I’ve had a lot of people I’ve trusted do shitty things to me, I don’t let that taint my view of the rest of humanity. I don’t walk around pissed off and scowl at everyone.

Yes I’m one of ‘those’ people that will talk to a stranger in the grocery store, that will smile and say hello as I pass someone. We as a nation have become so wrapped up in ourselves [selfish] that friendly and common manners have been all but forgotten.

There has to be a meeting place between standing up for yourself and being downright full of your self.

To be a selfless nation instead of a selfish nation.

18 Comments:

Blogger gloria said...

i remember waaaaaay back when i lived in texas (!!)...we'd make the 3 hour drive from our town to visit my mom in SAT, and as we passed ranchers and other random travellers along the way, hhbl would do the one hand wave (lifting one hand off the steering wheel- a quick "hi")...it is such a small thing, but it was amazing to me how irritated i would get when some wouldn't wave back.
sometimes we are too busy to be nice, and that's a shame. where's everyone going, that they need to hurry up and get there, ya know?

::shrugs::

be the change...

4:12 PM  
Blogger ... said...

I wish we could get America to be more selfless. I used to live in Japan, and it seems that you don't pass a person on the street without acknowledging them....but here, people just put their heads down or look away intead of greeting one another. So sad...it is amazing how much the smile of another person can brighten your day.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jerrster said...

Your words ring true with me. I'm sad we live in a time where trust is so...rare I guess. I'm 52, I was a kid growing up in the 1960's. Obviously it wasn't the "good old days" in the way that you hear people say that but it does seem like there was more trust, more willingness to know your neighbors. I lived in a small town and it seemed like we all had a sense of community. I don't have that where I live now, even though I've lived here for years.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

The things that are supposed to make our lives more simple seem to complicate them. Computers, TV, entertainment and other methods of convenience generally serve to make us devote more of our time to those things rather than ourselves or our personal relationships with others.

There is a general sort of disconnect between people now. Headphones in public, cell phones and other sorts of personal devices serve to separate us rather than unite. Inter-personal communication is seen as unusual now rather than normal.

The last time someone started up a conversation with me in an elevator, they got off a few floors before me, and afterward, another rider looked over and rolled her eyes, as though the conversation was unwanted and odd somehow. But, it was just another person talking to someone and inquiring innocently about my day, and whether I was enjoying it. Pretty innocent small-talk by anyone's standards.

The odd part (I suppose) was that a stranger was talking to someone they didn't know. I found it strangely interesting, while others would find it an inconvenience. How odd.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

well said!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

well said!

11:46 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

I don't try to be rude to people I say hello and whatever y'know, but I'm just now a go out of my way sort of person to make conversation. I don't know why that is. I'm more quiet I guess. I do care about others more than I care about myself yes, but...I'm just not real vocal about it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention-I should try harder.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Glo: EXACTLY...

Mishka: Yes it seems we have adopted teh I don't talk to you you don't talk to me motto.

Jerrster: Right? Thats what I'm talkin about.

Anthony: Thats true..people that do strike up a conversation are looked at funny...guess that just proves my point even more. Haha

Kimmy: You show it all the time, one doesn't have to be all in your face about it. I'm not a conversation starter upper...but I do say hello and smile, though if they start talking I will take the time and shoot the shit with them.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Bettina said...

I feel like giving you a hug- you're so right. I also think that life is about taking risks, about trusting without ever having a guarantee that your trust won't be abused. Because that is what makes trust so precious. If you make someone trust you, you make yourself responsible for that person. You can go through your life without ever opening up your heart and you will not get hurt as badly as some others might. But your life will be empty.

Good energy and kindness is infectious and there are a lot of small things like a smile that can make a big difference.

Thank you for this post- what a nice start to my day.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Smiling and greeting people everyday can be a habit easily formed and it is so much more pleasant for all to deal with. No matter what the response back.

8:18 PM  
Blogger ysfb said...

It would be cool if people did that but I'd be a little creeped out by it. Nothing like a total stranger coming up to you and hugging you, unless you're Carmen Elektra.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

YSB: Who said anything about hugging? I mentioned a smile and a hello.....aww but if ya want a hug...come here....

10:41 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

here here!

11:53 AM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

I second that!!!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm like you in this respect.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Hey ... if you're handing out hugs...

6:37 PM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Awww come here Anthony... **hug--hug*** There how was that? Better now?

7:14 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

A little.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home