Monday, July 31, 2006

Too Much Information In History...

So on my quest to not have any more babies anytime soon, I went in search of different birth control methods other than the pill. My body cannot tolerate the “fake” hormones and after trying several times I decided it just wasn’t worth it. I’d rather feel crummy one week out of the month than all four. However I’m tired of messing with what we are currently using, so I set out on researching different forms of birth control.

So like any wondering mind I turned to the Internet for a little knowledge. And for the most part found nothing more than I already knew in regards to birth control.

That was until however I came across a “history of birth control” if you will. Well let me just say MY issues seemed a lot less bothersome after I had my little history lesson. This was all very fascinating to me I just couldn’t stop researching the topic, much like, what was my blog and I referenced to the other day? Oh yes a Train Wreck you can’t turn away from. So don’t look away now, or you might miss the best wreck yet!!

It seems Ancient Egyptian women used lemon rein and crocodile dung as a form of barrier method. Europeans used beeswax and Asian women used oiled paper as a form of cervical cap. Condoms more your thing? Well the condom was first introduced in the 17th century, made at that time out of a length of animal intestine. Thank God for the invention of latex…No?

Then my search led to several folklores or myths about different measures once believed to prevent pregnancy. Who thought up AND believed this stuff?? The best one I read was also the first one I read. The folklore goes as such: If you shake a can of Coca-Cola up and put it into the vagina after ejaculation it will kill all the sperm and therefore prevent you from becoming pregnant. You can’t help but laugh at it; it was the most absurd thing I’d ever heard!!

Other myths about how you can prevent pregnancy were: Sneezing and peeing after sex….Having sex in a hot tub or standing up or with the women on top. Another that I thought really should be a classic: If you have sex during a full moon and do it standing up in a closet, then you won’t get pregnant!! Well I guess I better go clean my closet out in preparation for the next full moon!!! There was even a note about how using plastic wrap instead of a condom is not a good substitute. Good to know I will make a note of that!

So there you have it a little lesson in birth control for you all. I believe I shall stick to my current form of birth control…. And no unlike one of the suggestions or myths I found today it isn’t prayer….Just incase you were wondering.

10 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

I did the ring-put it in for 21 days and you can take it out to have sex if you want [some guys can feel it and it's bothersome and distracting] and wash it off and shove it back up there and then whenever take it out for good and then you'll have a withdrawl bleed.

[sorry guys]

Then shove another one up your hooie. LOL!
It didn't make me ride the rollercoaster of hormones and I liked it. Just a suggestion. I hated the pill...I can't remember half the time.

8:43 PM  
Blogger ysfb said...

Ok, you lost me on the crocodile dung. I couldn't read anymore.

My girlfriend read the rest for me. She said douching is what her mother told her. She tried to explain it to me and I got slightly aroused then she got into the details and I just started covering my ears.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

LMAO!! Well thank you for educating me!!!

11:46 PM  
Blogger mike said...

After visiting the family in Seattle, I can say that my sister's 2 little boys are the best birth control on earth. As soon as the clinic opens tomorrow, I am making an appointment to get snipped.

1:52 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

I always thought the best contraception was being me, because I never get laid ;)

4:16 AM  
Blogger Jes said...

You mean that coke can thing might not work??? Shit...I thought as long as I was on top and had the can of coke ready to go I was double-protected...

:) That post is just one more reason why I love the internet!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

I've been really happy with the pill. I tried the patch for a while, but hated it!

Funny post, I'll have to share it with the hubby.

12:03 PM  
Blogger All Head, No Shaft said...

My brother and his wife got an unexpected surprise, but now he is not the only male in a house of females (he has 2 daughters). As soon as they found out that prayer did not work (yes, they are religious), he went down and got neutered. That's my plan as soon as Hungary Puszi and I either decide to have demons or to not spawn.

4:27 PM  
Blogger BRAE said...

I am so happy I am fixed. I got it done4 years ago and still think it was the best decision I ever made. My chances are 1 in a million. Damn I better start keeping track!!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Mind Sprite said...

Thanks for the education. There were some amusing methods mentioned! I can't believe plastic wrap wouldn't work as well as a condom. Go figure!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home