Saturday, April 08, 2006

Awareness Is Power........

1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. 1 in4!! The NCADV (linked at right) takes donations of old cell phones to help women in abusive relationships please donate if you can. I came acrossed a poem a wrote several years ago when I was fresh out of high school and working at a bank. The girl I worked with and I became pretty good friends, and she was telling me of the abusive relationship she left. She moved from Alabama to Ohio, where her mother is, when he finally broke the last straw. He threw her against the wall while her son looked on, that was it for her. She left and never looked back. She is easily one of the strongest women I know today. So I thought I'd share the poem with you all. Now a personal note: I have NEVER shared my poems with anyone, let alone post them somewhere, so be gentle. Though I due value honesty.........

Abused

I feel so ashamed
I feel I'm to blame.
It's easier to take the insults
Than to believe it's not my fault.
My friends tell me to leave
But I don't know who to believe.
I'm too scared to leave
He'll think he's been deceived.
But I'm to frightened to stay
For with pain I'll have to pay.
He said he'd never hurt me
And yet I'm on my knees.
I've heard so many lies
My eyes are swollen, but not from my cries.
Even when I'm alone
I can hear him bruise my bones.
I pray to my Lord everyday
That he'll take my pain away.
I pray he'll wrap me in he's arms
And save me from all harm.


Peace all.......

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I like this poem, even though it's about something horrible.

I can never understand the type of people who abuse the one they are supposed to love. I try to put myself in a situation to imagine it - and even the thought of hurting the girl I love makes me feel sick inside.

I know there is probably some psychological reasoning behind it. That's not an excuse for them, though.

I will never understand abuse.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

me either Ian....

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home