Sunday, August 27, 2006

Used Up Part II......

Brae: "It may not sound so great but used up goods with baggage is just how we are viewed. Not to mention that if a man has a baby then nothing about him changes. If a woman has a baby everything on her body changes and not all for the good. I think that is in the back of the mind of me also. They don't mind it if the body changes when it is there baby but for the woman to come already that way is another story. It is a harsh world out there for the mom's and especially for the single mom's."


I found this comment from Brae very true but disturbing. As if women don’t have enough body image issues as it is from the media and society at large.

Trying to be the perfect size double zero!! I was at the mall a few weeks ago and there was a store advertising in their windows that they now carry “size 00”… Oh well great!!

I was talking to my sister the other day and she was talking about her class she took on photo shop. She said the instructor was telling them that all magazines use photo shop for their models. They take the already emancipated models and stretch them 10-15 percent!!! This way achieving that oh so sought after long and lean look. The look millions of girls are trying to have…. The look that totally computerized!!

Back to Brae’s comment: It reminded me of a preview I saw for a Dr. Phil episode, [note: I don’t watch Dr. Phil, mainly because just a simple preview fires me up I’m not sure I’d make it through a whole episode heart attack free]. The episode was about a married couple that was having problems. They were always fighting and they weren’t having sex it all cam down to the man saying he was “Disgusted” by the way he’s wife looks now after having their kids!! Disgusted ladies and gentlemen!

First of all: She was littler than me. I’m guessing around a size 6-8. Disgusted? He said it was the rough stretch marks and that she was “softer” than before. Disgusted?

Second: I’m taking it that their problems may have something to do with the fact that HE is a DISGUSTING JERK WHO NEEDS TO BE BITCH SLAPPED!!!!

If I were she I wouldn’t even be getting help for the marriage…He obviously didn’t marry you for love of who you are. You can’t fix that!

So as I was saying no wonder we women have such body issues!!! Between worrying that we may disgust our husbands by our changing bodies and the media stretching all ready emancipated models promoting an unreachable ideal that girls think is what you need to look like to be attractive and to attract a guy. I’m a pretty secure women and I feel the pressure…Imagine what its doing teen age girls!! I know what it did to me at that age…And it’s only getting worse.

11 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I just wish it were all about being healthy and looking healthy...not like a stick figure with no soul(ripped off from Sex/City).

2 years ago I got down to a size 4 at 135 lbs and my friends and family were worried since I looked so sunken in...and i was sluggish.
but the modeling industry loved me and theyb said i looked great if only i could drop a little more weight....FUCK YOU.

So much pressure on these women and teens...they say that 60% of 13-16 year old girls are on diets...this just breed eating disorders for the future with no end in sight.

Who is going to step up and change things???

9:11 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Well, Trojan, I'm afraid no one is going to step up. It's up to men (and society in general) to change, and it doesn't appear to be going that way.

Many years ago (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) the zaftig woman was the desired one. Slowly, it evolved into what we see today.

I think it's ironic that as a society, we are fatter than ever, yet the stick-figure woman is the fashion statement.

I guess the only thing we can do is be happy with ourselves and fuck society and their various and sundry ills.

9:32 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

OMG..don't get me started. I'm just going to leave it at that.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

i wish it were easy to appreciate/accept yourself...it just isn't for most people.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Thing is Trojan as I'm sure with most girls...I'll have days when I feel really good about myself and then the "Media" steps in and BAM! Crushes it!

Though I'm with Anthony on the fact that men and soceity have to change. Especially the fact that the industry concidereds a size 10 PLUS size!! WTF???

I could always try and be a "plus size" model....but at last I'm not tall enough!! lol.... And as it is right now, soceity and the industry wouldn't except me.... So how we gonna change them??

10:45 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

I agree with all this - but I also have to point out that some women also have the same opinions of guys who don't have the perfect body. It can be just as disheartening for a guy to miss out on love simply because women don't find him physically attractive...

11:35 PM  
Blogger Buzz said...

When I lived in Ventura, about 60 miles north of LA, I tried my hand at models and future actresses and so forth. Here's what I found out.

They are out of touch and totally believe everything the last casting agent told them.

They are no fun to be around.

They are completely self adsorbed. Maybe becuase they didn't get enough attention from their daddy's when they were younger.

I dated one girl, Deseree, who was a model/actress, but at the time was doing photo shoots for a snowboard/skate company. She would eat 2 french fry's and have one bite out of a burger and then when we'd go back to my apartment she'd be in the bathroom for a strong half hour. I'd go in there later and smell pot smoke and perfume. Her disorders were exhausting and we didn't last 3 months.

So, that is the trade off. All the girls in magazines are fucked up beyond recognition but they're a size 00. The girls who are out working and raising kids are size 6 and beyond but are much more level headed.


I prefer the latter.


-buzz

1:51 AM  
Blogger gloria said...

Dude, I am a little creeped out by the thought that they stretch out the models pics 10-15%. As if they aren't small enough already!

My little sister (she just turned 16) is very athletic, very healthy, and she is a 00.

My advice to her:

ENJOY it while it lasts...

2:41 AM  
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Jones: some maybe but I was never that way...I found many different men attractive.... Different shapes, style, age.... I was an equal oppertunity dater!!

10:45 AM  
Blogger BRAE said...

Here is where every woman out there gets mad at me.

I think that a woman should try her best to stay the way she was when she got married, within reason. On the other side of this I don't have a weight issue and cannot relate to sudden weight gain or body changes. I believe that the man on the Dr. Phil show was uneducated as to what was going to happen to his wife after the baby. So he is having a hard time adjusting. He can get her stretch marks fixed, but not so sure about the fact that he is an ass.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emancipated?

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home